Thursday 25 August 2011

One Day - David Nicholls

You can live your whole life not realising that what you're looking for is right in front of you...
15th July 1988. 
Emma and Dexter meet on the night of their graduation.
Tomorrow they must go their separate ways.
So where will they be on this one day next year?

And the year after that?
And every years that follows?
*~*~*

Emma and Dexter meet on their graduation day of University and end up in her bed. They begin to discuss life and their plans. Jokes are made whether “this is love”. The story then follows their lives, showing snapshots of the 15th of July every year and where both characters are, emotionally and physically.

It took me 5 Months and 15 days, but I finally finished this book and believe me it is well worth reading a million times! I read most of the book in March, and loved it and raved about it....but then it upset me...and I refused to read the ending. (I can be quite childish and stubborn like that!)

Raimy and Keris finally convinced me that I had to reread the book, and with the upcoming movie I felt like I might as well give it another go. I am sooo happy I did. I generally can’t reread a book, but if I don’t finish it I have to start it from the beginning, so I can feel the same feelings again (if that makes any sense...). As I began it took 3 pages before I was quoting and laughing at bits that I had read the first time and loved, unfortunately I was not allowed to do that too much as my cats got bored of listening to me.

I read the entire book in one sitting...which I appear to have a habit of doing on a weekend! At some points I wanted to bang Dexter and Emma’s heads together and yell at them to get a move on and sort it out! Even though in age they may be 30/40, they still act like 15 year old
teenagers who refuse to admit they are in love. Which although makes you want to scream at them, actually makes me realise how invested into the characters you become. With it being set so that you only see a snapshot of their lives, there are often unanswered questions regarding previous partners, jobs they were doing and family matters. However because the snapshot is often around 25 pages long, you are too enthralled in what the characters are
doing and saying to realise where people are!

The book isn't always happy and laugh filled. There's some bits where you can't help but laugh at a sarcastic comment or want to cry when something sweet and lovely has happened. There's also points where you want to throw the book down and announce to the whole train carriage that the book is cruel and evil and you refuse to read it. (Yes, I threw a tantrum on a train about a book...). But it's a book that defiantly sticks in my head, and I think very few people could dislike it.

I think the main theme in the book I love, is the impact you can have on someone’s life, which was very highly shown in “13 Reasons Why”, but in this book you get to see it from both sides, and not just the side of one character.

One last thing...GO READ THIS BOOK! =)

1 comment: