Thursday 1 September 2011

Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy - Ally Carter

WARNING : ALTHOUGH CARE HAS BEEN TAKEN TO REMOVE ALL SPOILERS THERE MAY STILL BE TRACES!

Cammie Morgan is back, and it's clear that her life hasn't calmed down since the events of I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You. At first, giddy anticipation is in the air. Gallagher Academy, Cammie's elite spy school, is hosting a visit from the Blackthorne Institute for Boys, a covert training centre for boys. Soon after the boys' arrival, though, everything goes dangerously awry when a series of security breaches are discovered at the academy. Worse yet, teenage agent-in-training Cammie is being blamed for the penetration. With the school's top-secret status at risk, the Gallagher Girls have to work quickly to save their beloved school. Girl sleuths with nice asides on youthful crushes.


I was so excited to finally get hold of this book, the Gallagher Girls series is just brilliantly funny as well as being a very nice easy read. Which is perfect when you’ve just read something heavy or had a super long day it is brilliant to just jump into a world that reminds me so much of Enid Blyton’s Mallory Towers/Twins at St. Clares, but has so much going on that it is not in any way predictable!

The second book in the series begins with Cammie going through a debrief situation following the incident at the end of the first book. When she returns to school she finds a wing has been blocked off, and very soon they realise why...a threat none of them had ever expected has arrived at the Gallagher Academy For Exceptional Women...BOYS.

Honestly when I read that bit I burst into giggles and knew I was going to love the rest of the book! Ally Carter is brilliant at showing how intelligent these girls are, but how emotionally stunted they are when it comes to boys and clothes. It’s mentioned how suddenly all the girls are wearing makeup and becoming jealous at the girls who the new boys are paired with.

Looking back at my review of I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You some things still stand. The book seemed to end too quickly, not sure if it is because I read it so fast but the ending did seem a little rushed and over in a matter of around 15 pages.

As I’ve said before, this is a very light funny read, and there are so many points where I laughed out loud and just told whoever was in the room funny sentences (something the cats got sick of...). I love how quickly it changes from a novel about teenage girls to suddenly show them organised with their mini reports.
Of course there was more mention of family history which just makes me hope and pray that it will be wrapped up by the end of the series. As mentioned before I do enjoy the fact it is a very light read, which is why the reoccurring plot lines are so memorable because there isn’t 20 different story lines to try and remember at once!

Now I’m off to read the Third one... Don’t Judge a Girl By Her Cover...

No comments:

Post a Comment