Thursday 22 September 2011

Wintergirls - Laurie Hanlse Anderson

Lia and Cassie were best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies. 
But now Cassie is dead.
Lia's mother is busy saving other people's lives. Her father is away on business. Her stepmother is clueless. 
And the voice inside Lia's head keeps telling hero remain in control, stay strong, lose more, weigh less. 
If she keeps on going in this way - thin, thinner; thinnest - maybe she'll disappear altogether. 



*~*~*

So this is not a review...more a collection of my thoughts.

This book was written so brilliantly it completely drags you into the story! You can't help but just be say on the side lines as you watch Lia and her world collapse through her need to count calories and be thinner.

The way the text is laid out is amazing, it really made me feel that I was at the heart of Lia's mind and hearing her non-stop monologue. I've been unable to find a picture on the internet, so I've take a picture of a page in mine:


(Very bad quality but as I said...photo of the book uploaded to internet!)Usually the layout is nice but this to me it really showed what was going through her head, and how her brain processed the idea of food and her ability to be "strong/empty".

The reason this isn't a review is because this has been something that has affected me in the past and reading the book was quite triggering and I feel writing a review would cause more problems than it's worth! Laurie (the author) has really gotten into the head of someone suffering with an eating disorder and how your mind thinks and negotiates food.

I have to say I wouldn't advise this to anyone who has suffered with an eating disorder but for people who can't understand the innate thoughts involved I really think this will help you understand more.

1 comment:

  1. great post Steffi... I loved the way the text was laid out and everything too...

    ReplyDelete