Saturday 3 September 2011

Life on the Refrigerator Door - Alice Kuipers


Claire and her mom share the same house but they live on different planets...While Claire’s world revolves around school, shopping and her new boyfriend, Mom is always busy with work, work and more work. But they do have one thing in common: the kitchen fridge. It’s where they leave little notes for each other. It’s how they keep in touch. Then one day Claire comes home to a note that’s different from all the others.

And life is never the same again.

*~*~*

First of all this is a VERY quick read. It took me 15 minutes...though I read very quickly. My friend who isn't as speedy took 30 minutes so do not expect this to be a sit down and loose yourself for hours and hours! It would be fantastic for a bus ride or short car journey. 

The premise of this book really intrigued me, the idea of constantly leaving notes for each other first made me think it was very sweet and a cute way to communicate between two people who keep missing each other. However...as the book went on I found it annoying! I was irritated with the mum for not managing to grab Claire for even 10 minutes to say to her in person what should never be said on a post it note. Growing up I know it was sometimes hard for my mum to find me, but I'm sure if it was something like that I personally would make it my mission to speak to my daughter...then again I suppose if she doesn't want to accept it herself would she really want to speak about it...

It does seem after the big revelation that Claire tries harder with her mum and its nice to see but part of me felt like it was a little too late, but that is how real life is unfortunately!

For the last 20 pages I was silently sobbing...I couldn't stop reading to get a tissue because I needed...and I mean *NEEDED* to know what happened, but I also couldn't stop crying. I advise to have a pack of tissues next to you! Then again you might not be as big of an emotional wreck as I am!

I do agree with Raimy's comment on her review of this book that I just really wanted to go give my mum a big hug at the end and the feeling does not leave you. I think I sulked about it for a few hours, but to me a good book is one that hits you and sticks with you hours and hours later!

2 comments:

  1. Read this awhile back, and it's definitely a quick read, but I didn't like it so much. It was just okay for me. I agree about the mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't really like it so much, but thank you for posting this review! A friend of mine recommended this book a few months ago, but I just couldn't remember the name of it. But thanks to your review I now know it and can buy the book :)

    ReplyDelete