Friday 17 August 2012

Forbidden - Tabitha Suzuma

She is pretty and talented - sweet sixteen and never been kissed. He is seventeen; gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. But... they are brother and sister.


Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending.
*~*~*



I know not everyone has read, or even wants to read this book due to the subject matter. I, personally, have no problem with books regarding dark topics like incest as long as they are done tastefully and not done purley for the shock factor. I have also read a LOT of Virginia Andrews, which if you are not aware, she/he writes a whole lot about incest and parents leaving and being abusive (Yes...I like depressing books...). So on that basis I did enjoy this book but am aware it is not everyone's cup of tea!


The first thing that struck me about this book was that it was based in London! I read far too many books that are set in America or that they aren't specified where in the UK it is supposed to be based, so it was nice to see that. It also meant that the ages in my head matched up when I thought about what years in school and employment laws were.  


At first I felt Lochan was a little bit wimpy, but then as the story went on, you grow to love him and appreciate that he may come across that way but he is dealing with a lot! Maya was the complete opposite and seemed very mature for her age, especially dealing with all the family issues they had.


I know you are meant to dislike their mother, but I hated her. I hated the fact she left them and didn't care about them, I hated the fact that her new boyfriend didn't seem to care either that she had 4 children at home or anything and just kept whisking her away. 


The only thing I didn't like about this story was the way that one minute Maya and Lochan were happy with what they were doing, then the next minute they decided it was wrong, then they were happy, then worried, and after a while I began to stop caring whether they were together or not as it would change by the end of the next chapter. I found the chapters a bit too short as well, so as it was a split personality, it began a bit disjointed. Also there is sex in this book...well if its a book about incest you kind of expect it, but just in case I thought I would warn people..but it isn't graphic or cheesy. it is probably the right amount without it being too bad for a young adult. 


However that all changed by the ending, as the last few chapters was brilliantly written and showed a great response to what had happened through the book. Though I still still hate the mother...and I think that will be the lasting impression I get from this book...

No comments:

Post a Comment